The City of Grande Prairie Fire Department is offering safe smoking tips following four structure fires in the last two weeks.
Residents are being warned about their smoking habits after a series of recent fires. Over the last two weeks, four separate structure fires have been caused by “careless use of smokers’ materials” the Grande Prairie Fire Department confirmed.Locals are being reminded to “butt it out” when smoking.“It is very disturbing that we are still seeing these type of fires regularly. These fires are 100 per cent preventable,” Fire Marshal James Kostuk said in a release. “People who smoke need to make sure cigarettes and matches are completely extinguished.”The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that smoking is the leading cause of death in home fires. In home smoking incidents, fires are often started from an exterior balcony or open porch.The local fire department offers the following safety tips:
Do not throw out cigarettes into vegetation, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, mulch, leaves, or other similar items. They can easily catch fire. Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Put them out in water or sand. Whenever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays. If ashtrays are not available, use a metal can or pail. Never empty smoking material directly into a trash can. Place the ashtrays or metal cans away from anything that can burn.