Police officers escort a handcuffed suspect to vehicle after a nearly nine-hour standoff on Main Street in Listowel.
(Crystal Kaiser/Special to the Beacon Herald)
The man arrested following a lengthy standoff with police in Listowel earlier this year and rearrested a few weeks ago on new charges was briefly back in a Stratford courtroom.As Nathan Chambers, 21, appeared on the video monitor, duty counsel Michael Fair said he had a letter from Chambers’ lawyer, Ben Scholten. It stated a Crown pre-trial has been held, further disclosure was requested, and a followup appointment has been scheduled for May 16. The letter requested an adjournment of the case until May 17.Justice of the peace Sharon Roberson ordered Chambers to return by video that day.Chambers was rearrested and hit with more than a dozen new charges after a person was allegedly assaulted with a stun gun and held against their will, Perth County OPP said. Police said a pair of suspects fled North Perth close to midnight on April 11 after letting the complainant go, but were arrested after a chase near Clinton.Chambers is facing 13 charges, including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, forcible confinement, and flight from police. The charges have not been tested in court.Co-accused Tracy Dolmage, a 38-year-old North Perth resident, is facing five charges. She made multiple appearances in Stratford bail court last week.Chambers was initially arrested on Feb. 22 after a standoff shut down a section of Listowel and forced area schools to close their doors for most of the day. He had been making frequent brief video appearances in Stratford court before being released on bail in early April.Perth County OPP said several outstanding warrants led officers to the location of a wanted man on Main Street in Listowel on the morning of Feb. 22. Officers surrounded a house around 11 a.m. and, after a six-hour standoff closed a section of the street for most of the day, police said the situation ended peacefully with the man’s arrest shortly after 5 p.m.Police said a 21-year-old Minto resident was charged with theft of a motor vehicle, operating a vehicle while prohibited, possession of stolen property over $5,000, two counts of failing to comply with recognizance, and failing to comply with a probation order. The charges have not been tested in court.The OPP’s west region emergency response team, canine unit and crisis negotiators were all involved in the incident. Students at three elementary schools were kept indoors as a precaution, but police said there was no direct threat to the schools or the email@example.com