In a small La Ronge courtroom, a teen who fatally bludgeoned restaurant owner Simon Grant two years ago was sentenced to an adult prison term.Judge Robert Lane sentenced the killer Thursday morning to nine years in prison, less 38 months of enhanced remand credit, the boy’s lawyer and Grant’s widow confirmed.
Simon Grant, owner of Louisiana’s Bar B Que in La Ronge, died from injuries inflicted when his business was robbed April 15, 2017
The sentence followed a hearing that took place, sporadically, over recent months, as the Crown sought to have the teen sentenced as an adult after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter last year. The maximum youth sentence for manslaughter is three years.The now 19-year-old man was 17 years old, and therefore a youth, when he hit Grant in the head with a baseball bat during a robbery at Grant’s Louisiana’s Bar-B-Que restaurant in La Ronge on April 15, 2017. Grant died in hospital from blunt force trauma.Austin Bird, who was 18 at the time, received a seven-year sentence, while a 14-year-old boy was given three years. Both pleaded guilty to manslaughter.Prosecutor Ruth Fafard said an adult term would allow the victim’s family to access more information about the offender, including his correctional plans and date of release. It would also hold him accountable and protect the community, she said.Arguing for the maximum youth sentence, defence lawyer Jessie Buydens said an IRCS (intensive, rehabilitative custody and supervision) sentence would provide the supports her client needs, both in custody and in the community.The teen’s identity has been protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act because of his age at the time of the offence. Since he has been sentenced as an adult, the publication ban can be lifted if a 30-day appeal period passes without an appeal being filed.