A 15-year-old made his first appearance in Saskatoon Provincial Court on Tuesday, accused of threatening to cause death or harm at Bethlehem Catholic High School earlier this week.In a news release, Saskatoon police said they received a report around 7 p.m. on Monday about a threat being made on a social media platform. Officers found the 15-year-old at a west-side home and arrested him.
Police say a 15-year-old was arrested after a threat was made on social media to cause violence at Bethlehem Catholic High School in Saskatoon earlier this week.
Matt Olson / Saskatoon StarPhoen /
“Although it is not believed there was a risk to public safety the Saskatoon Police Service takes threats of this nature very seriously,” police said in the news release, issued Tuesday afternoon.The teen cannot be named under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.He is charged with uttering threats, and also with mischief for interfering with the lawful use of the school.A spokesperson for Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools said because the incident took place outside of school hours, no action was initiated at the school.The teen was released from custody under several conditions, including not having any weapons and not posting to any social media sites. He was also ordered not to have contact with a certain named individual, and not to be at Bethlehem High School.Meanwhile, the school year is nearly over. Tuesday was the last day of exams. Graduation is set for Thursday, and report cards are to be handed out on Friday.The teen is due back in court on Thursday.