Jonathan Inglis was charged on April 6 after allegedly attempting to lure two girls aged 12 and 15 online.
A Verdun man who was recently arrested following a child luring investigation by the Montreal police was still serving a sentence for having committed similar crimes in the past.On Oct. 30, Jonathan Inglis, 31, was able to leave a federal penitentiary after he automatically qualified for a statutory release. He had received a 31-month sentence in September 2017 after he pleaded guilty to having contacted two girls, under the age of 16, through social media and had sex with them. Both of the victims told the police they were bitten, slapped and choked while Inglis raped them.Inglis assaulted the two girls while he was on probation for having lured a young teenager online in 2012 when he was 24.On June 8, 2018, the Parole Board of Canada denied Inglis any form of release after he was assessed as having “significant cognitive distortions and you keep minimizing your deviant sexual fantasies.” He was denied both day and full parole after having undergone a sex offender assessment in November 2017, during which he admitted he was attracted to girls between the ages of 14 and 16 when he could “succeed in developing a connection” with them. His risk of reoffending was assessed as being “moderate to high.”According to a written summary of the same 2018 parole hearing, Inglis told the board he had “self-esteem issues, including fear of rejection from females. You spoke of discovering your attraction to younger females in your early 20s, and part of the reason was your fear of rejection from age-appropriate women.”Only five months after being denied parole, Inglis was released on Oct. 30 because he had reached his statutory release date, the two-thirds mark of his sentence. In this case, the parole board was limited to imposing conditions on the final third of his sentence. He was ordered to stay off social networks or chat rooms and was not allowed to be in the presence of underage girls unless accompanied by an adult approved by his parole officer.In the months that followed, Inglis appeared to live a quiet life. He resided with a relative who was aware of his past and had agreed to monitor the time he spent on a computer. He was also not allowed to have a cellphone that connected to the internet. To his parole officer, it appeared Inglis was limiting his social life to going to school and staying home at night and on weekends.The Montreal police investigation that produced his arrest on April 5 alleges Inglis resumed online luring only three months after his release. He was charged with child luring, invitation to sexual touching, sexual contacts with a minor and with having breached his release. He is currently detained and, at the end of last week, the Parole Board of Canada officially revoked his statutory release.“File information indicates that you engage in relationships with underage girls because you are emotionally immature and suffer from low self-esteem. You also seem to choose young girls because they are vulnerable and have little relationship experience, which gives you the opportunity to impose your authority and your control,” the parole board noted on the decision made on July 19.According to a statement issued by Montreal police in May, Inglis contacted “at least two girls who were 12 and 15 years old on different discussion sites with the goal of luring and inciting them to have sexual contact. He used social networks and applications to contact the victims.” The statement was issued because the Montreal police sexual exploitation unit was concerned Inglis had contacted other victims.His current case returns to court on Aug. email@example.com